6.10.2011

Exes can be friends. Not a question, a statement.

Random Rant Sesh:

I dated a guy for two years (from the summer before my junior year in high school to the summer before my freshman year in college.)  He has had a great impact on my life.  I'm not afraid to say or admit that we're still friends, yes, as cliche as it is...we're still friends.  I couldn't live with myself knowing that there is someone out there that knows me better than ANYONE on the planet, but we don't talk just because those romantic feelings faded for me.  Long story, short:  He is almost 3 years older than me, and we were really truly in love.  He joined the Air Force my senior year in high school.  This means I only saw him 3 weeks in seven months.  I flew to Texas to his basic training graduation with his family, and he came home last summer for almost 3 weeks.  Now, he's in Lousiana and hasn't been home since Christmas.  The distance got between us and we fought quite a bit toward the end of our relationship.  He was slightly controlling at times.  I ended things mid-august 2010, just a week before I went to college, after a rather explosive arguement.  It took many many months to be able to talk to him again, as he was extremely confused and hurt (as he had every right to be).  We both dated other people (mine a bit more serious than his,) but either way we both came to realization that we still want to be a part of each other's lives, strictly as friends.  We now are back on track and talk probably weekly, just to catch up.  It's nice knowing I have a guy there for me that's not my boyfriend.  I know I can call him when I'm having a bad day or if I just need to vent.  Of course, it's not the same (and it shouldn't be)  as if we were dating, but I love that.  I love how we have that sort of relationship.  Last week he told me he is getting deployed to the United Arab Emrites in November.  My heart sank.  Even though I don't have romantic feelings for him, I still care about him.  I pray he will stay safe. 

I'm obviously completely over him.  I mean I dated another guy for 6 months after him.  & even now, he and I talk about who we're interested in and what we want in life.

On another note...His family loves me.  Seriously.  :)  Even after I broke up with him, his aunt & uncle still call me to babysit for them, his cousin that's my age still talks to me, and I've had dinner with both of his parents on separate occasions.  Since the break up, I have remained and become closer to his dad.  His dad is an amazing guy.  (In July 2009, we found out his parent's were getting a divorce after 16 years of marriage because she was having an affair...UGH.)  His dad has the best wisdom.  On Tuesday night I went to his 10 year old cousin's baseball game, and his dad invited me over for dinner later on.  I agreed and I ended up staying there for two hours just catching up.  I love that.  I've lost quite a bit of respect for his mom, and we kind of grew apart drastically after I broke up with him.  She is a really great person though; she is so nice and crafty.  We actually have some stuff in common.  His little cousin adores me.  She is 5 and always clings to me whenever I'm around.  She always tells me I'm her best friend. 

Honestly, I wouldn't want it any other way.  I truly treasure the relationships I've built with him and his family.  Moral of the story: this is proof that exes CAN be friends.

This is his cousin, Addison.  (My 5 year old best friend.)  She is so adorable.



Have a great weekend! I'll be super busy, as I'm going to the twin cities for a grad party and to visit some of my good friends!

love. B.

1 comment:

Jessica M. said...

That's great that you're able to keep your relationship alive, no matter if it's romantic or not. :)

Have fun with your friends this weekend!

*JRB @ jessicarbrackman.blogspot.com