I was working housekeeping at the hotel the other day and the scent that dusted the room I entered was one that came all too familiar to me. It took me back to being a 5 year old little girl, entering the living room of my grandparent's house, afraid I'd wake gramps. He used to talk in his sleep ALL. THE. TIME. I'd giggle and giggle and giggle. Once he would wake up, I'd tell him everything he dreamt about. OOh, would be upset. I never did understand why. He smelled of grapefruit, cigarettes, and hair product. It sounds like a horrible combo, but it really brings back memories of him. Camping, fishing, watching TV, helping grandma cook, and sleepovers with them in their bed. It felt amazing to relive a moment in time like that. It will be two years in September since he passed away. It gets a little easier as each month pass, but it's still hard to go to my grandma's house and expect him to be there. At that very instant in time at the hotel, I took a minute just to soak it all in.
That first bite of a blue freezie on a hot summer day takes me back to that tiny house on 2nd street we lived on as kids...running through the sprinkler until the mosquitoes got too bad.
Or how a brisk walk through Diamond Point park takes me back to that chilly September night with that boy & the butterflies and confidence I haven't felt since that day.
Or how casting my fishing pole for the first time each summer reminds me of when I was younger waking my dad up at 5 am wondering when in the world we were gonna take the boat out to reel in some sunnies.
Or how malibu-pineapple juice reminds me of the last day of senior year...& the first time I'd really tried alcohol.
Or how midnight runs to Wal-Mart take me back to last summer playing hide-and seek with some of my favorite guys.
Or how the Skatin' Place takes me back to 3rd grade birthday parties.
Or how that deck swing takes me back to the deep convos and plans made with him.
Or taking Addison to swimming lessons today reminded me of learning "soldier, monkey, bird..." as a kid. & the excitement of passing a level in lessons.
Or how tubing on the river takes me back to just last summer. I made the best memories with some of my very best friends.
Or how hearing a certain song on the radio takes you back to days, people, and memories. I have WAY too many to count.
(exhibit A- Baby got back...ALISSA. Dancing in the kitchen in our underwear. YES.)
Or how visiting Itasca State Park takes me back to when I was 3 and getting leeches on my feet at the headwaters.
Or how public showers and the smell of a dusty dorm room takes me back to living on 2A, and having the greatest newfound friends ever. Fall 2010 was wonderful.
Or how sitting by the bridge by my house takes me back to what seemed to be an everlasting friendship until she changed, and became everything I'm not about.
Or how coming home after a long run to find my old soaking wet barbies in the bathroom sink from Kylie to MY days of pruny-finger and toe bubble baths.

...Just something to think about. What takes you back?
love. B.
No comments:
Post a Comment