6.18.2011

Sisterly Love.

When I was younger my sister and I NEVER got along.  She is 5 years younger than me and never ceased to annoy the living daylights out of me.  When I had friends over, they were automatically her friends, too.  When I got a new Rugrats comforter, she obviously HAD to get one, too.  I felt as though everything in my life was shared with Desiree.  I would never one up her.  I felt like I never got to be original or special, because my mom tried to make things "fair" between the two of us.  Up until I moved out during my senior year of high school, Desiree and I still would get into massive physical and verbal arguments weekly.  Don't get me wrong, I've loved her since the day she was born, but she can be stubborn and frustrating.  Presently, Desiree is going into 9th grade.  She comes to me quite often for advice about school, boys, friends, and of course mom.  Des texts me at least every other day, and even asks to hang out with me (something I would've never in a million years expected or wanted to hear as a early high schooler.)  Honestly, I wouldn't mind taking her with me to hang out with my friends.  She is still the extremely hard headed and stubborn little girl I used to know, but now she is realizing we can't be like this forever.  & I guess you could say I'm finally realizing that she is growing up (& very quickly as that) and is more like me than I expected.  I was surprised last week when she really opened up to me.  I love how we can stay up until the wee hours giggling like 5th graders over stooopid stuff...when we should've been doing this while I was at home.  It is saddening that it took this long to figure it out that we could've been practically best friends our entire lives instead of rivals.  We now have inside jokes, and find humor in the dumbest things.  Even though I'm 5 years older and much more mature, we share some of the same experiences...she has fears, she gets aggravated with mom, and she has boy issues (as immature as hers may seem sometimes; they can be very mature.)

SIDENOTE: However; when I go home to my mom's now, my sisters Desiree and Lindze fight like crazy.  I see quite a bit of the relationship Des and I shared just a few short years ago.  They are 4 years apart, and I know that they will both realize someday the exact same thing Des and I realized within the past year.

Back on trackkkk: I actually enjoy coming home and seeing her when I'm three hours away at college.  She is one of the few people I really really look forward to seeing.  In this case, the distance has made us SO much closer, and I can't imagine life without her. 

love. B.

2 comments:

Jessica M. said...

My sister and I are also 5 years apart and used to be the same way. Now that we're both out of high school, we get along so much better and talk about all kinds of things. Isn't great how time changes some things for the better??

*JRB

Brianna. said...

It is amazing how time changes things for the better. I couldn't agree more! Thanks for the comment! :)
-B.